Part-time Organizer Position
The Minneapolis Renters Coalition (MRC) is a member-based collaborative building a movement to instigate changes at the grassroots, policy, and systems level to guarantee access to healthy, affordable, and secure homes for all Minneapolis renters. The members of the coalition are Corcoran Neighborhood Organization, HOMEline, Lyndale Neighborhood Organization, Central Area Neighborhood Development Organization, Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association, Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, Nokomis East, Beltrami Neighborhood Organization, Inquilinxs Unidxs por Justicia, and Community Power.
We believe in building resident power, by working directly with renters authentically, beginning at the grassroots level. Renters are residents and human beings with assets and capacity to lead decision-making processes and structures. They are not a “side project.” We are committed to leadership development in communities we are working in.
We believe communities need quality, affordable, stable and secure homes to thrive. Housing is a basic need and human right. We believe in long term systemic changes that promote racial equity and economic justice, in addition to remaining, reclaiming, and rebuilding.
MRC is looking to hire a part time (20 hour/week) community organizer. The organizer will work with 5 neighborhood organizations that are part of the coalition in order to build renter assemblies within the neighborhood. The organizer will:
- Coordinate with HOMEline to develop a list of target buildings to doorknock
- Conduct doorknocks, sometimes with neighborhood volunteers/staff, to gauge renter interest and concerns
- Conduct tenant assemblies in the buildings or at the neighborhood office to build renter knowledge, changes in housing, and renter leadership
- Walk with renters in all their struggles to build community and deep relationships
This position will be supervised by staff from Inquilinxs Unidxs por Justicia. On the job training is expected. Inquilinxs Unidxs por Justicia is a collective dedicated to dismantling all forms of oppression. We have a strong analysis on capitalism, patriarchy, gender rights, and those with different abilities. We understand that we all have blind spots and that we need to be patient with one another.
Qualifications for this position:
- Organizing experience: doorknocking, recruitment calls, participation in community meetings
- Strong political understanding of our economic system
- A strong desire to connect with neighbors to build power and create change
- No degrees are needed for this position, just a love for your people and the movement
- Spanish or Somali language skills a plus
- The position has the potential to transition to full-time
- No health care benefits
Please submit a reasons statement with your past experience and why you’re interested in the position to Roberto@inquilinxsunidxs.org. Your statement will be reviewed by the MRC exec team.
We will begin reviewing applications August 22nd; open until August 30th.